Christmas is a great time for family reunions, even more if you live abroad like me – it is probably the one time a year everyone is gathered together, right!
And we know big family gathering can be fun, but they can also be stressful – wish me luck i am spending a full week with my family this year – hopefully it will go well.
Drama, big loud personalities. – we all have those in our families, in mine we’re all loud, dramatic & and like to give unsolitated opinions!
Now no matter what we’re family, and we love each other right!?
There’s always ways to handle these type of situations, below are a few of my ‘techniques’:
- Do not use the holiday season to bring up OLD ‘scars’ this is NOT the time to fix it – everyone’s emotions are running high (the stress of getting the gifts, the stress of traveling to be with you families, hosting, cooking & keeping everyone happy) keep it light if possible
- Set yourself some expectations – Don’t expect miracles, people do not change – most don’t
- Put the ‘FUN’ in disfunctional – most family has their fair share of crazy – just have fun with it
- Focus on the happy moments
- Control what you can control
- Try not to sit next to that 1 family member that annoys you the most
- Practice self-care – try ot detach yourself from anything that might stress you out – control what you can control
- Establish “healthy” boundaries for yourself: It’s OK to say “no.”
- Focus on the kids – they are normally the ones having the most fun
- Take any comments with humor
- Moderation – we all eat and drink too much – and when we do things have a tendency to get out of hands
I hope these tips will help you get through it, I know it is easier said than done – But you can always try one of 2 & see how effective they are.
Happy holidays all!